Sunday, March 28, 2010

Luck or Fate

Tuesday, March 24th

I returned to school from my spring break week and I am now sitting in class avoiding my work for the day. Really I am just bored out of my mind. I randomly decide to get on craigslist and look at what motorcycles have been posted under every damn city in the Nebraska section. Shortly before 2pm I am in the Omaha/Council Bluffs section and see listing for 1965 CB77 305 Superhawk for $900 in Avoca, Iowa. At this point I am no longer bored...consider my mind blown. The fact that I stumbled upon this fairly rare bike is leaving me questioning its authenticity and condition.

Shortly after viewing that listing I called the listed number about it. A very strange, interesting guy named Johnny Lightning answered the phone. We began talking about the usual, what's the condition, history, problems with the motorcycle...all in all I was left a bit confused but even more interested in seeing this thing in person.

As soon as I got out of class, I drove to Avoca. Which is only about an hour away from Omaha...but I had no idea that I would be returning there on Wednesday and Thursday. I finally arrive and walk down gravel alley that lead to muddy driveway and ended at a very messy, cluttered garage. That's when I met the man, the myth and have course the Avoca legend...Mr. Johnny Lightning!

Now I am able to finally lay eyes on this motorcycle...to my surprise it's an actual Superhawk! The only reason I say that is because there are so many confusing frame and engine models that can get mixed up and a number of 60's Honda's tanks and parts can look similar to one another.

Johnny Lightning really wants to make this deal happen right now. The only problem is I didn't have any money, because I couldn't get to the bank, because I didn't expect to find a fucking Superhawk on craigslist today! I explain to him I will buy this thing tomorrow and just need to figure out how to get the damn thing back to Omaha on the cheap.

No comments: